Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) FAQ

What is the difference between a PhD in Psychology and a PsyD?

A PhD is a Doctor of Philosophy, whereas a PsyD is a Doctor of Psychology. PhD students are generally trained following the scientist-practitioner model that puts greater emphasis on research than PsyD students, while PsyD students are generally trained with greater emphasis on clinical work than PhD students.


Is the program CPA accredited?

ADLER has consent from the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities to offer a doctoral program in clinical psychology. The Canadian Psychological Association only accredits programs from chartered Universities. As ADLER is a private professional graduate school, it does not fall under this category. However, students graduating from the ADLER PsyD program may still apply to the College of Psychologists of Ontario for registration. At a minimum, the CPO requires that the applicant must have obtained a doctoral degree from a psychology program that is accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association, or from a psychology program that the CPO deems to be equivalent to that of the CPA accreditation standards for doctoral programs in professional psychology.


What if I have a Master in Counselling, can I apply to your PsyD?

Admissions at ADLER would need to review the various courses completed in a Master of Counselling Psychology degree to determine how closely related those would be in comparison to course work completed in the ADLER MPsy degree. Also taken into consideration is how long ago that degree was awarded.


What is the application deadline?

Completed applications must be submitted by December 1st for consideration for the following Fall start date. The latest Altus test date to meet the December 1st application deadline requirement is October 20th. Students have until April 15th to accept offers of admission. After that, they automatically forfeit their offers.


How much does the degree cost?

Tuition for the program will be calculated each trimester, based on the number of credit hours per course. Each credit hour is $850, with a total of 57 credits required to complete the degree. The total tuition for the PsyD program is $48,450. Some other incidental fees may apply. *Total program cost is provided as an estimate based on current fees. Total cost is subject to change


Do you have any financial support?

Each trimester's tuition is calculated based on the number of credit hours per course. This amount can then be divided into monthly installments, allowing students to spread the cost of the program over the trimester for a nominal fee. Some limited Tuition Assistance may be available.


Do I need the GRE?

No, we do not require the GRE for the program.


What is the Altus assessment?

All applicants applying to the Doctorate of Psychology Degree program at Adler Graduate Professional School are required to complete Altus Casper assessment for the 2022/2023 admissions cycle. The latest test date to meet the December 1st application deadline requirement is October 20th. The Altus Casper assessment is a standardized, multi-part online assessment that measures different competencies and attributes that we believe are important for successful students and graduates of our program. The Altus Casper assessment will complement the other tools that we use for applicant review and evaluation. In implementing Altus Casper assessment, we are trying to further enhance fairness and objectivity in our selection process. Casper: 100-120 minute online, open-response situational judgment test. You will register for Altus Casper assessment for CSP-10201 – Canadian Professional Health Sciences Access to create an account and for more information on important dates and requirements, and the Altus Casper assessments.


Do you accept students from other master’s programs; how many students do you accept?

We will  accept 12 - 15 students per cohort. Although many of the spots will be taken with ADLER Mpsy graduates, we welcome applicants from other programs.


I am already in a Clinical Doctoral program; can I transfer my credits to your program?

Once you have been accepted into the program, you can request to transfer up to nine credits from another clinical doctoral program. These credits must be a B+ grade and deemed by ADLER to be substantially equivalent to those in our degree. Transfer credits cannot include electives or practicum hours.


What is the difference between a thesis and a dissertation?

The primary difference between a dissertation and a thesis is the degree programs that require these projects. Students in a master’s degree program may write a thesis, whereas students in a doctoral degree program are required to complete a dissertation. A dissertation usually requires an oral defence, whereas a thesis may not.


Where would I be doing my internship?

Internship sites may include institutions, agencies, private practice settings, university student wellness clinics, etc.


Can I take the program on a part time basis?

ADLER’s PsyD program involves full-time, year-round study.


Can I work full time while I am doing the program?

Students cannot work more than an average of 20 hours per week in employment outside of the program. These hours do not include teaching and research assistantships or other program-sanctioned work or clinical experiences.


Is the internship paid?

Yes, the internship is a paid position.


Can I do my practicum placement where I presently work as a qualifying Psych Associate?

Generally, students cannot complete practicum placements at a site where they are currently employed, they have previously completed a practicum placement, or have previously been employed.  Exceptions to this rule may be considered, if and only if, the training and job activities are substantively different, and the training supervisor is someone other than the job supervisor. Exceptions to this require documentation and written permission from the Director of Clinical Training. Practicum placements are unpaid positions. 


What about my internship?

Same applies. However, the standards for an internship site must follow the standards as set out by the CPA.


How many hours are needed for assessments?

Students in the PsyD are required to complete a minimum of 900 total hours, up to a maximum of 1000 hours. Students must complete their practicum training at a minimum of two sites which include at least one assessment practicum placement, and at least one psychotherapy/intervention practicum placement.


When can I start searching for a practicum/internship?

Students can certainly think about where they may want to complete practicum placements. However, they cannot agree to any placements before starting the program and must follow program protocol in that regard, including consultation with the Director of Clinical Training. With respect to internships, the same applies.


When can I start the internship placement?

To start their internship training, students must have completed all academic work,  practica, passed the comprehensive examination, and have started or completed their dissertation. The Director of Clinical Training and Faculty then agree that the student is ready for their internship training. 

What happens if I fail the practicum evaluation?

ADLER has various policies and procedures in place. The reasons for failing the practicum evaluation may also impact those decisions. The Director of Clinical Training, along with the core faculty, may also meet with the student to review those factors, and in some circumstances, would constitute remediation, and/or dismissal.


What capstones are required to graduate?

Students are required to complete all course work, including electives, as well as pass the comprehensive examination, complete all practica, successfully defend their dissertation, and complete their internship training.


Why isn't your school on the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities website?

The ministry has a page on their website called Go to College or University in Ontario. ADLER falls in the unique category of a private graduate school. If you click on the link Find a private postsecondary school, which is our closest comparison listed on the website, you will find the quote "Other institutions, in addition to the schools listed below, have the authority to offer specific degrees with Minister’s consent." We fall under the category of "other institutions". At the bottom of their website page you will find a section titled "Find schools offering degrees under Minister’s consent on the PEQAB website." On the PEQAB website you will see Adler Graduate Professional School listed as having been granted consent.


*This program is offered under the written consent of the Ontario Minister of Colleges and Universities for the period from December 15, 2021 to December 15, 2027. Prospective students are responsible for satisfying themselves that the program and the degree will be appropriate to their needs (e.g., acceptable to potential employers, professional licensing bodies or other educational institutions.